Camp Freedom Check-In Process
With many Scouts and Leaders arriving and checking in at the same time, we need your help. We want to make this the easiest, fastest and most efficient check-in process you’ve ever experienced. Staff will be available in the parking lot and at various check-in points to assist wherever needed.
- Upon arrival at Heritage your unit will be directed to the lines forming at the respective camp gates and will be asked to wait at the gate until 12:30 p.m. before proceeding to the camp. If you prefer not to wait in line, the line is usually gone by 1:00 p.m. Please arrive prior to 2:00 p.m. to be able to complete all check-in procedures before dinner. Any Scouts or leaders participating in the full week Eagle Base program should be dropped off at Keystone Lodge near the main entrance.
- A member of the staff will meet you in the parking area and be your campsite host and will assist and lead your unit throughout the entire check-in procedure as well as give you a tour of camp so everyone is familiar with where things are located. They will provide a packet of information related to your stay.
- The unit leader responsible for all registration matters will report directly to the Program Hall with a complete roster, payment history, any advancement changes and a form of payment for any unpaid fees. Unit bills will be settled at this time. Guest meals and Order of the Arrow fees are paid during the week.
- Move into your campsite with your gear. Only one vehicle per unit will be allowed to go past the parking lot and into your campsite. Unit trailers are allowed in most sites and must be parked in designated areas. Handcarts will be available.
- As soon as possible, change into your swimming suits, grab a towel, put on shoes and continue to the medical recheck station. (You can come to camp wearing your swimsuit to save time.) Be sure to have all the medical forms with you. Be prepared to present a copy of everyone’s forms for camp to keep in alphabetical order at the medical recheck station.
- After your medical recheck, you will receive the dining hall orientation.
- Next, you will move to the Aquatics area to complete swim tests. This is required for anyone to enter the Aquatics are during your stay.
- Return to your campsite, review and inspect camp issued gear with your campsite host, change clothes for the evening meal (Scout uniform), and finish your campsite set-up. Day Trek participants must meet at their respective program hall for an orientation meeting at 5:15 p.m.
- Flag lowering will be at 5:50 p.m. with dinner following in the dining hall.
Advancement Sign ups at Camp Freedom
- When you arrive, you will receive a print out of all your Scouts/Scouters and what merit badges/activities they are registered for according to the Online Registration System.
- See someone in the Program Hall on the day you arrive for questions about what advancement opportunities your Scouts should take or registration procedures.
- You will have the afternoon to look over the advancement printout and bring any changes (additions, deletions, etc.) to the Program Hall. At the absolute latest you need to turn these in at the Program Hall prior to dinner.
Saturday Early Arrival
The Camping Committee will allow early check-in at Camp Freedom under the following guidelines:
- All early arrivals must be pre-approved by the Camping Director at least two weeks prior to your arrival to allow for proper staffing using the online request form at http://www.heritagereservation.org/resources.
- There are only limited services offered for early arrivals as we provide the camp staff 24 hours off between sessions. We will have a limited staff available to get you situated in your site, deal with any camping equipment needs and handle any medical emergencies.
- See the staff member in the Program Hall if emergency services are needed.
- Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, Senior Patrol Leader and Patrol Leaders are the only members of a Troop that may arrive early. A Troop traveling more than 200 miles will be allowed to check-in the entire unit.
- Each unit must have two adult leaders to meet youth protection guidelines.
- Arrival time is between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. Please don’t arrive prior to this time!
- Upon arrival, go to the Program Hall. The weekend staff will meet you there - Be patient, they may be checking another early arrival unit into their site but will be back soon.The weekend staff will check you into your site and check all equipment at this time.
- You can re-arrange the tents in your site only. You cannot take gear from another site. If you are sharing a site (the weekend staff will let you know) you may not under any circumstance take any gear from that part of the site. If something is missing that is needed prior to regular check-in on Sunday, let the weekend staff know.
- All program areas are off limits! No swimming allowed. No program equipment can be requested until 12:30 p.m. on Sunday.
- Heritage vehicle access policy is enforced for all early arrivals.
- An equipment cart will be assigned to your unit by the weekend staff. Use this to haul your gear to your site on Saturday.
- A Scout is Trustworthy and Courteous.
- On Sunday you will continue with the check-in process.
Camp Freedom Check-Out Process
With as many as 1,200 Scouts and Leaders departing at the same time, we need your help. We want to make this the easiest, fastest, and most efficient check-out process you’ve ever experienced. Staff will be available in the parking lot and at various check-out points to assist wherever needed.
Pick up your continental breakfast at 7 a.m. from the dining hall.
- Sweep the floors and wipe down walls in the campsite latrine. Scrub and clean urinal, toilet seats, and washbasin. Be sure to wear gloves and wash hands afterward.
- Wash and rinse picnic tables.
- Clean all stoves, cooking and campsite equipment and return to the respective boxes. Return items checked out from the Quartermaster.
- Leave a complimentary woodpile for the next unit.
- Pick up all trash in and around your campsite. Sort your trash and take it to the dumpsters in the parking lots.
- Rinse out the waste receptacles.
- Review your campsite and camp equipment with your campsite host.
- Settle your unit’s account, pick up your patches and Troop photos, and turn in your Adult Leader and youth evaluations at the Program Hall.
- Sign up for Heritage 2012 if you have not already.